Monday, November 16, 2009

CATS RULE -- Unfortunately

Sometimes you just can't win with cats. At least, I can't.

Our two indoor kittys, Precious and Bootsie, love to change their sleeping spots every few weeks. Two weeks ago, Bootsie decided on my desk chair. Not only did she settle in and start shedding her fur all over, she actually had the nerve to drool on the seat. But, I knew there was no point kicking her off. That was her spot until SHE decided to go somewhere else. I just put down an old blue bath towel and decided to wait it out.

I raised children so I know how reverse psychology works. I knew if I pushed the issue with Bootsie, she would claim that chair even longer because -- CATS RULE. So, I ignored her. I hoped she would change her mind soon. If I needed to use the desk, I rolled MY chair with sleeping cat away and brought in a task chair I use at my quilting frame.

Ah, but we cannot forget the "You got it, therefore I want it" psychology. Our other kitty, Precious, decided that if the chair was so great that Bootsie wanted it, then she had to have it, too. There is no "sharesies" between these two cats. They almost tolerate each other most of the time. But, they do not cuddle up together in the same catnap spot. Not today -- not in this century.

First, Precious settled down to nap at the foot of Bootsie's chair. The next day, she hopped up on the chair while Bootsie was still in it. Bootsie was not happy. If looks could kill, Precious would have been a goner. We scooped up Precious before the two could start World War III. Finally the day came that Precious beat Bootsie to the chair. After that, Bootsie could not sleep there anymore. Precious had ruined the chair.

CATS RULE. It was Precious in the chair instead of Bootsie, nevertheless, I was still without a desk chair.

I guess Bootsie decided it was my fault that Precious took over my chair--excuse me--her chair, because the next thing I knew, Bootsie was sleeping in the middle of the quilt on my quilt frame. She must have thought it made a really nice kitty hammock. I discovered this new catnap location as I was getting ready to go away for the weekend. I knew I would not be there to fight the good fight. Buck was laughing so hard at the kitty antics that he was no help at all. So, I lifted up Bootsie long enough to cover the quilt with tablecloths and decided I would deal with it when I got home.

I arrrived home and Bootsie was still on the quilt frame and Precious was still in my desk chair. So much for using reverse psychology with the cats. Time for tough love.

The weather was nice, so I threw the cats outside for awhile. I took away the towel that was covered with kitty fur, slobbers, stickers and dander and put down a clean towel. I knew that cats do not like getting near plastic grocery bags because of the static, so I cut open a garbage bag length-wise and put it over the quilt. I then sat in my chair and started to use the computer. By the time Buck let the cats back in to eat, I was ready for them.

Much to Precious's dismay, I took up all the space in the chair and stayed close enough to the desk that she could not get up in my lap. However, I could not stay there forever. Once I stood up, she was in the chair.

Bootsie was not to be deterred, As soon as I turned around, I saw Bootsie asleep on the quilt. She found that plastic cover quite comfortable.

I decided to quilt. I flung the plastic cover over the sleeping Bootsie so only her face was uncovered. She did not like that. She pushed the plastic away, but it was in the area where I was stitching so I pushed it back. She decided to lay down right where I was working. I picked her up and put her on the ground. We did this several times.

Bootsie was tired and I was cutting into her catnap time. She got in a snit and climbed on Buck's chair to sleep. Both of our chairs were taken up by cats, but at least I got her off the quilt.

Ah, but there is also the "detract-them-from-something-they-want-by-offering-them-something-more-attractive psychology.

Buck took the last of the chips out of the case box and sat the box on end near the dining area as a hint for me to get more chips next time I go to the store.

We learned long ago that Bootsie probably should have been named Boxie. If there is one thing that cat cannot resist, it is a box. The next thing we knew, there were two little yellow eyes peeking out at us from inside that box.

I liked Bootsie in the box. She was off of my chair and my quilt. Unfortunately, she knew I liked her in the box. This morning, she was back on top of my quilt. As I write this blog entry, Precious is at my side waiting for me to get out of her chair.

CATS RULE.

No comments:

Post a Comment