Friday, July 2, 2010

Meet Archie

*
The neighbors next door moved out in the middle of the night. Next thing we knew, there was a starving, half-grown kitty on our front porch crying for food. The cat was so pretty and pathetic, I could not ignore him. I set a small bowl of dry food down and the kitten devoured it immediately. Through the screen door an hour later, we heard the kitty whine again. We fed it again. Then it disappeared, probably looking for water.


The kitty found its way to the back yard and probably thought it had hit paydirt. Not only was there water, but it found the perpetually-full kitty food bowl we keep back there.

I have never been very imaginative when it comes to naming pets. I usually name them after a physical characteristic. I named the kitty Goldie because it was so pretty and petite, I assumed it was a female--AND, because it was gold in color.

Then I watched it walk away from me with tail in the air and saw the equipment. Nope, it was a boy-kitty. I didn't like Goldie for a male name. So, from there, Buck and I went to Golden, then Golden Arches, then Archie.


When you stop and think about how our minds work, sometimes it's scary.

We soon learned that Archie was used to being an indoor kitty. He followed us into the house. He quickly found the indoor kitty food and made himself at home on our bed. He is my kitty and follows me around when he can.


Archie was not welcomed by all.

Bootsie is Buck's kitty.

Bootsie is the queen.

Bootsie barely tolerates Precious, the old cat from our first litter, who also comes in the house. She is not fond of the outdoor cats, including her brother and litter-mate, CC:, or her cousin, Jeffy. She certainly has no use for the two feral kittens that showed up last winter. It is an understatement to say she was not happy to see this gold and white kitten make himself at home in her house and her yard.

But, the day she came in and found Archie sleeping in Buck's chair--HER chair......

Oooooooooooooh!

No comments:

Post a Comment