Monday, March 12, 2012

Hooray for Broccoli!

 For the first time in three years, I found broccoli starts. I just got them planted Saturday, though, because I did not want them out in my garden beds getting dried up and blown over by the gale force March winds that roared through here for several days.

The garden is far from a masterpiece. I have some garlic I planted last fall, the chives that are pretty much perennials in my garden, the volunteer cilantro and a whole bunch of weeds. I pulled out the biggest offenders as far as the weeds went, but I still have a lot of work to do in that department.

At the same time I bought the broccoli, I bought three sacks of steer uno-what. I need to finish the weeding before I work that into my soil. I still want to get my tomatoes, onion sets and squash. Hopefully, this spring won't be so damp that I lose my zucchini to mildew like I did last year.

For today, Archie, the garden cat, was out with me as I watered my little plants. ANYTHING to put off getting busy reading the style manual and checking the grammar for my latest proofreading project on Aurora Rescue. (see www.robynechols.blogspot.com for more on that.)

The buds are coming out on my dwarf pear tree. I am still waiting for blossoms on our apricot tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment