Saturday, December 26, 2009

Grandson NASCAR Quilt


Okay, now that Christmas is over, I can post pictures of the quilt I made for our grandson back east. Well, I do not think he is east of the Mississippi River, but it is east compared to us in California.

I would not post a picture earlier, because, unlike my wonderful, artistic sister who gets along beautifully without a computer or cell phone, this kid is definitely tech-savvy. Although I doubt he or his parents live and breathe to see my blog posts, with my luck, if I had posted these pictures earlier, they might have seen them.

By now, the guy has the quilt and either likes it, loves it--or really, really hates it.

He probably does not realize my daughters and daughters-in-law will probably be in a collective snit when they realize that my first large quilt effort was for a teenage boy. So, why did I make it for him when I do not even know if he will like it or appreciate it?

Well, the short answer is, I found this NASCAR fabric in two related styles and thought of him. I worked out a pattern with the sashing to tie together the orange and red in the two different block pattern. I assembled it by machine, but quilted and finished the binding by hand. I added a hanger sleeve so he can use it as a wall hanging if he does not want to use it as a bed topper.

Although I know it would not command a price on eBay anywhere near what the Amish quilts go for, I was almost tempted to put it up for sale online and hope another NASCAR fan snapped it up for a good price. Then I would have sent him the gift card as usual. But, no, I decided to give the grandson a chance. If he is into NASCAR posters, this is one of a kind.

If he wishes I sent the gift card as usual, all I can say is, better luck next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment