Friday, October 22, 2010

Gorilla Garbaging

I know, "garbaging" is not a real word. But, I needed something to go with "gorilla", as in, "gorilla warfare." That is what I felt like I was doing in my studio yesterday when I got into a cleaning mode -- warfare on the garbage.

 I had storage containers out there filled with piles of office supplies, memorabilia, obsolete papers and plain junk. They could be more useful to me now if they were available. So, I went into "gorilla garbaging" mode and started throwing things out. I consolidated usable office supplies, organized what I want to keep to remind me of past rural letter carrier state and national conventions, and went through my old 3.5" floppy diskettes to choose the ones with information I want to save onto a CD. All our newer computers are sans a 3.5" drive, so I better do it quick before those floppies are totally useless.

I found a program cover with a sharp image of the artwork from CaRLCA Unit 15 when we sponsored the state convention in 2006. I hope to use it next year to create blocks for a quilting project to sell or raffle off at a state meeting to raise money for our political action committee. That alone made my gorilla garbaging effort worthwhile.

Anyway, my project that took me about two hours freed up a cardboard office box and a four-drawer Rubbermaid unit that is now mostly filled with over-sized paper supplies and "cost of goods sold" supplies for my quilting and craft projects. That freed up a large tote for my fabric projects.

The generous donation I made to our garbage can means that discarded stuff is not coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment