Saturday, July 30, 2011

I Remember Why I Don't Love All Tupperware

Tupperware is a great product. I even sold it for awhile until I figured out that (1) I did not really make any money doing so, and (2) I did not like changes the company made to their marketing program about the time the national economy went downhill. While I was a consultant, I used my discount to purchase a lot of pieces I wanted for myself. But, now I remember why I do not love all Tupperware.

Take, for instance the refrigerator produce keepers. Yes, you can set the amount of humidity to preserve your produce, and things do keep a long time in them. Notice the onion I picked and put in there about two months ago. The bulb end is still edible although the green stems are beyond anything I would want in a green salad. Although the orange did not fare so well after two months, I know it was, after all, old and almost gone when I put it in there two months ago.

So, why am I just now getting to these after two months? Because I am a visual person when it comes to my refrigerator. If I cannot see it clearly, it does not exist or me. And, instead of keeping their products clear and see-throughable (Okay, I know that is not a real word.), Tupperware is always changing its color schemes. I guess they figure that if someone loves this year's color scheme better than last year's, they will throw out that piece they paid a small fortune for a year ago and buy a new one in the latest color.

Not me. Back to using the plastic bags from the grocery store produce department. Once I realize I have food spoiling because I do not see it, I vow to never spend money on Tupperware again and I start using the Tupperware I have for other things where I do not need to see what is in the box.

That is my sentiment. But, I am going to give it one last college try. I was able to shuffle things so that I could get about half of the peaches I was gifted with a few days ago into one of the keepers. A few more -- not as many because even though this keeper is longer, it is shallower (the blue one that is long enough or celery). Both -- together or individually -- take up an inordinate amount of space on my refrigerator shelves. And, the only way I will remember the peaches are there, since I cannot see them through the color, is to make appointments on my smartphone calendar every 2-3 days to remind me that I have fresh peaches in the frig .

What I really need to do is make a peach cobbler. Also, I should get some of that stuff that keeps fruit from turning brown and then prepare the peaches for the freezer. I could use my freezer containers by Tupperware.

Now, those I like. Even if I forget to label them I can pretty much see what is in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment