Monday, March 11, 2013

March Appreciation

The view from my front porch - March 2013
How important it is to not take the beauty around us for granted! This is what I see while standing on my front porch.

In a week or so, the blossoms will be gone and new green leaves will start to sprout. But, for a couple of magical weeks, I get to see this every day. I'm sure the farmers don't think it has rained enough, but the weather has been absolutely beautiful this past month--pretty much like what is pictured above.
Archie in wood chip box
It is still cool enough that a fire in the evenings and mornings feels good. When it rains, all the cats prefer to sleep in the living room near the wood stove.

I planted a few leaf lettuce plants for the first time in these grow boxes. Even with morning temperatures hovering near freezing, they have done okay. Between the lettuce and broccoli plants shown and in the box to the left, I also planted some yellow onion starts (looked for them early enough this year to buy them before all the stores ran out) and some potato eyes. 

The onions in front are from a red onion that came up this winter. I have no idea when I planted that onion start because it has been four years since I last bought them. It had three bulb heads in it, each with roots attached. I threw away the outer layers, washed and cooked up the middle layers, and planted the onion sprouts. So far, so good.


No comments:

Post a Comment