Saturday, February 20, 2010

I Am the Remnant Queen

*
When it comes to fabric, I am the remnant queen. I love a bargain, which is a nice way of saying that I am too cheap to pay full price if I do not have to. I have been gathering remnants of quilting fabrics for years, even though I only began officially quilting within the last year. Plus, I love making totes and other small sewn items. I am really happy with some of my recent finds:


The sparkly beige will go great with a black-beige-dark green-deep red patchwork quilt for which I am collecting fabric. It is based on the fabric used in one of my daughter's high school dance dressy-dress skirts. And, guess to whom I eventually intend to give it? The green and aqua will go nicely with any of many pastel motifs. My favorite buy was the hearts fabric. It is only 7+ inches wide, but it only cost 32 cents. I can get some nice strips or squares out of that piece.



I am always happy when I can get some remnants in basic solid colors. One thing I notice when I try to put prints from my fabric stash together is I often need to make a special purchase of solids to add to the project to tie it all together.

I loved the tropical design. It was not quilting fabric, but 100% cotton shirting fabric. It will get quilted.

These last remnants will go in my tote and purse projects tub. The metallic fabrics have purse trim written all over them. The baseball pattern will probably line a tote that will feature a baseball design fabric I have. The checkered will line a tote with some quilting from scraps from my grandson's NASCAR quilt. The plastic will be great to line a beach tote or to use for photograph pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment